| British Virgin Islands
Jamal S. Smith is an attorney who has worked at one of the largest Law Firms in the British Virgin Island for over 8 years and is now the Founder & Principle of THORNTON SMITH. THORNTON SMITH is a general practice law firm with expertise in complex corporate transactions especially involving intellectual property rights. Jamal S. Smith served as Chairman of the Social Security Tribunal of the British Virgin Islands, Board of Directors of the National Bank of Virgin Islands and as a member of the Board of Governors of the H. Lavity Stoutt Community College. Mr. Smith is now the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the BVI Chamber of Commerce and Hotel Association. He was also a member of the Intellectual and Industrial Property Focus Group responsible for recommending the reform of the territory’s intellectual property laws including the recent Trade Marks Act, 2013.
His client base comprises some of the largest law firms from major financial centers around the world, including the City of London, Hong Kong, New York and Singapore as well as the in-house counsel of major multinational corporations. He currently advises on a wide range of corporate issues relating to BVI corporate law, including incorporation (with an emphasis on continuations), corporate structure & governance issues (with an emphasis on mergers, share deals and acquisitions), corporate finance (with an emphasis on loan financing, syndications and re-financing), and corporate insolvency (with an emphasis on workouts, restructuring and cross-border issues).
Mr. Smith’s Education Credentials include:
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons) (University of the West Indies), 2000
- Certificate of Legal Education (Eugene Dupuch Law School, The Bahamas), 2002
- Admitted as a Barrister and Solicitor in the British Virgin Islands, 2002
- Approved by the BVI Financial Services Commission as a Senior Officer, 2009
- Admitted as a Notary Public in the British Virgin Islands, 2011
- Admitted as a Commissioner for Oaths in the British Virgin Islands, 2011
- Advanced Certificate in Arbitration (Chartered Institute of Arbitration, London), 2013